The purpose of this assignment is for students to receive Six Sigma Yellow Belt Training Executing DMAIC Six Sigma quality improvement (analyze, improve, and control) projects.
Resources: Microsoft® PowerPoint® ( Southwest Airlines)
Execute the define phase of the Six Sigma DMAIC project including the following:
- Identify customers and their priorities.
- Identify a project suitable for Six Sigma efforts based on:
- Business objectives.
- Customer needs and feedback. For example, if the team chooses a fast food chain, they could observe and record defects with preparation and delivery of the food, cleaning of the restaurant inside and out, including the rest rooms
- Productivity of the operation and quality of service measured by such metrics as: wait times per each customer from the time the order is made until the customer is handed their food, customers served per hour per total number of employees, number of errors made in products served vs ordered, friendliness of the staff, and cleanliness of the operation; including inside the restaurant, outside, in the rest rooms, tables, floors, waste baskets, etc.
- Identify and develop the problem statement.
- Identify CTQs (critical-to-quality characteristics) the customer considers to have the most impact on quality. Execute the measure phase of the Six Sigma DMAIC project including the following:
- Determine the metrics to measure the process and how it is performing.
- Identify the key internal processes influencing CTQs and measure the defects currently generated relative to those processes.Execute the analyze phase of the Six Sigma DMAIC project including the following:
- Determine the most likely causes of defects.
- Understand why defects are generated by identifying the key variables most likely to create process variation.
- Identify necessary/unnecessary process steps.Execute the improve phase of the Six Sigma DMAIC project including the following:
- Identify means to remove the causes of defects.
- Confirm the key variables and quantify their effects on the critical-to-quality characteristics (CTQs).
- Identify the maximum acceptance ranges of the key variables and a system for measuring deviations of the variables.
- Modify the process to stay within an acceptable range.Execute the control phase of the Six Sigma DMAIC project including the following:
- Determine how to maintain the improvements.
- Determine how to monitor and control improvements.
- Put tools in place to ensure that the key variables remain within the maximum acceptance ranges under the modified process.Utilize all analytical tools available for Six Sigma as permitted or appropriate including, but not limited to: flowcharts, run charts, Pareto charts, checksheets, cause-and-effect diagrams, opportunity flow diagram, process control charts, failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA), design of experiments (DOE) and lean tools. Students can use templates located in the text or online sources. Develop a 15- to 20-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation, including talking points, highlighting your work on the three phases of the Six Sigma process improvement project.
Format your assignment as if you would be giving a presentation to senior management (APA Format)