Evaluation of public health ethics in decision making
The goal of public health is to improve health for all populations. Ethics play a significant role and professionals must consider ethics in the workplace, research, decision making, and policy. Professionals must also consider moral standards of stakeholders and be able to reconcile moral claims and public health ethics when working with populations.
Public Health Topics
For this assignment, choose a public health topic below and examine a community affected by this public health issue.
- Food Justice Movement/Food Apartheid
- Access to Health Services
In 1,000-1,250 words, discuss the ethical dimensions of public health decision making, including the scope and consequence of making decisions. Include the following:
- Describe the topic you chose. Explain how this topic affects the community you selected.
- Discuss what factors contribute to how the public issue is addressed, or not addressed, in the community.
- Describe the role of bias and cultural competence and how they affect or contributes to this situation.
- Discuss the moral claims relevant to the stakeholders and discuss why they are ethically justifiable.
- Discuss at least one ethical dilemma presented in this situation. Review the Public Health Code of Ethics and the “12 Ethical Principles.” Discuss potential solutions to resolving the dilemma as a public health professional.
- Based on 12 Ethical Principles, explain what authority and scope public health has regarding decision making in the chosen situation. What are the potential consequences of decision making in this situation?
- In the context of decision making, discuss how a public health professional reconciles the moral claims and public health ethics in this situation.
You are required to cite to a minimum of three sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and public health content.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.